Fast and easy Dr Who Christmas cushion project for the time traveller in your family



 


I made this quick cushion project as a Christmas gift for a Dr Who mad family member.  It was so easy with a lapped back panel and simple applique, I thought I'd share.

Materials:

  • 1 fat quarter of your favourite Dr Who print (try Spoonflower to find them)
  • 1/2 m grey poly cotton fabric
  • 1 craft sheet of grey felt
  • small scrap of black felt
  • 20cm square of fusible webbing
  • matching sewing thread
  • 1 cushion insert size 14 (36cm square cushion) (try Big W or Spotlight)

Instructions:

Download and print template for Tardis image.

 

Trace an image of the Tardis and an image of the door highlight  onto the paper side of the fusible webbing.

Roughly cut around each shape from the webbing (not the pencil line)

Iron the shapes to the back of the grey and black felt

Use sharp scissors to neatly cut each shape and set them aside.

From the Dr Who print, cut a 38cm square.


In the top 1/3rd of the Dr Who print square, iron the Tardis outline.  Stitch around the outline with matching thread to secure.

Iron the black door highlight onto the Tardis shape and stitch to secure with black thread.


From the grey poly cotton fabric, cut two rectangles:
  • 35cm * 38cm
  • 25cm * 38cm
These will form the cushion back.

Using the 25cm * 38cm rectangle, fold a hem of 1 cm on one 38cm edge and press flat. Turn under another 1 cm, press and pin the seam.

Using the 35cm * 38cm rectangle, fold a hem of 1 cm on one 38cm edge and press flat. Turn under 4cm and press and pin the seam.

Stitch both panel seams using matching thread. Press to neaten.

Line up the two grey panels to form the back of the cushion.  This is done by laying the largest panel, right side up facing you.  Behind it, right side up, slide the shorter panel.  Overlap the panels to form a square 38cm in size.
Pin the panels together.

 

Lay the completed Dr Who panel on top, right sides facing each other.  Pin  around the edge and stitch using a 1cm seam allowance.

Carefully undo the pins securing the back panels together and turn cushion cover through.  Add the cushion insert and its completed.

 

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Sharlene!

I absolutely love this tutorial! I am an editor for AllFreeSewing and would love to feature your tutorial on my site with full credit to you. I know my readers would just love it and in return would generate some nice traffic to your site. If you agree and would like us to feature your project, our readers will simply click the link to your blog to get your full tutorial. It's really that simple.

My site is part of Prime Publishing and we publish 19 cooking and crafting web sites. We have over 3.5 million active e-mail subscribers and about 10 million page views per week. You can learn more about us at www.primecp.com.

Please let me know if you would like to get started. Just shoot me an email!

Thanks, and look forward to hearing from you!

Mollyhall
Unknown said…
Oops! My email is mseeley@primecp.com. :)
AllisontheImp said…
I found your blog via AllFreeSewing. I love the Tom Baker fabric. I haven't seen anything like that Stateside. Could you, would you please tell me where/how I can get some of my own? Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you.